August, 1611. READ AN EXTRACT
Jack Fletcher is shipwrecked off the coast of Japan – his beloved father and the crew lie slaughtered by ninja pirates.
Rescued by the legendary sword master Masamoto Takeshi, Jack’s only hope is to become a samurai warrior. And so his training begins . . .
But life at the samurai school is a constant fight for survival. Even with his friend Akiko by his side, Jack is singled out by bullies and treated as an outcast.
With courage in his heart and his sword held high, can Jack prove himself and face his deadliest rival yet?
- ‘A fantastic adventure that floors the reader on page one and keeps them there until the end. The pace is furious and the martial arts detail authentic’ – Eoin Colfer, author of the bestselling Artemis Fowl series
- ‘Fierce fiction . . . captivating for young readers’ – Daily Telegraph
- ‘More and more absorbing . . . vivid and enjoyable’ – The Times
- ‘Bradford comes out swinging in this fast-paced adventure . . . and produces an adventure novel to rank among the genre’s best. This book earns the literary equivalent of a black belt’ – Publishers Weekly
- ‘The most exciting fight sequences imaginable on paper!’ – Booklist
- Voted one of Puffin's 70 Best Ever Books, alongside Treasure Island and Robin Hood.
- Winner of the Great Britain Sasakawa Award 2008
- 'Book of the Year' - The Fighting Spirit Awards 2008
- Shortlisted for Red House Children’s Book Award 2009
- School Library Association’s Riveting Read 2009
- The Weald Book Award 2014 (winner)
- Plus 15 more award nominations, including Carnegie Medal and Independent Booksellers Award